Neighbors and Community
In the mountains and valleys of the Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee 200 + years ago, the area was just beginning to be settled by families moving from North and South Carolina, Kentucky and other neighboring areas. Settlers had to rely on each other to clear land, build cabins, hunt, and grow crops. Their very survival depended on each other. Many had been given land grants from the newly formed United States for their service in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. So their neighbors and small communities were their lifeblood, so to speak.
![]() |
| Black Mountain overlook |
Most of these young men and women found their life partners just “one farm over.” They started their own families, and many times lived on the same land their parents lived on. Small communities formed and grew from these early years. It was an amazing, and also dangerous time for these early settlers. Today, we can hardly imagine how they managed it, at least I can’t.
But my real focus for this blog is on today’s world. You see, up until about 10 years ago, I knew little about this part of the world where my father was born and raised. Sure, I had visited there as a kid with my family during school break, and was able to spend time with my grandparents, uncles and aunt and cousins. But when you are a kid, your thoughts are not on history, they are on walking to the store across the street to get a Dr. Pepper, or going swimming in the old creek. Asking about my grandparents’ lives, what it was like growing up on the mountain, etc never crossed my mind.
Even though I live 1,200 miles away, I am now deeply invested in this place, people and it’s history. I can’t get enough of it. And I am gradually building my own community of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins that still live in this area. I am getting to know these more distant relatives and they are getting to know me too.
I’ve been helping out with the annual reunion since 2021, and this has been a good way to gradually meet others. So many of these folks have such great stories to tell and knowledge of the area, I could listen to them all day. Next year will be our 100th (as best we can figure!).
![]() |
| Hinch reunion photo July 12, 2026 |
I want to particularly thank my cousin Eldeena, who introduced me to my third cousin Gordon about 10 years ago (we didn’t know we were related then). He has lived in this area all life, and is a fabulous family historian. He has graciously shared all of his material with me and driven me all around the area, showing me all the cemeteries, and mountain roads. Gordon is one of the first people I call when I arrive in town, and we have breakfast at the Hardee’s every morning.
![]() |
| Eldeena, me, Sally and Gordon 2021 |
Another 3rd cousin, Peggy, has welcomed my brother Jim and me into their home so many times, fed us some fabulous country meals (we always seem to get there when the garden is “coming in”), took us to see the sights in their part of the mountains, and took part in a celebration of our 5th great grandfather Charles Thurman in 2021, put on by the Tennessee John Sevier Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution. The small cemetery is on their property, or close to it. And she is a crackerjack genealogist to boot!
This last trip I was able to meet a third cousin once removed (Melinda) in person at supper at the Cracker Barrel! I have been Facebook friends with her for a while, but meeting in person was the best! Her knowledge of the Sherrill family is amazing. She is one of those people that has been interested in her family history since she was a child. When we started talking, we couldn’t stop. Her husband just grinned, and said something like “I can sure tell you are related!” Hopefully I can do a trip there in the wintertime, so the snakes won’t bother us when we head up in the mountains to see the locations of where our ancestors’ first lived.
![]() |
| This is in Sherrill's Ford, NC - crossing of Catawba River in 1747 |
Last is my newest contact, Lindell, my 5th cousin. We share 4th great grandparents: Greenberry Wilson and Temperance Bradshaw. He actually owns the original house that Greenberry built in 1797. Lindell told me that they have 4th of July celebrations there every year, and a few hundred people show up for the program. He said I should come down there next year for it. I have seen the house and the cemetery that overlooks the house and farm. It is so beautiful. It was Melinda who told me I should get in touch with Lindell for some of the research questions I have.
![]() |
| Greenberry Wilson home built 1797 |
To sum up this week, I feel like I am growing my own little community of cousins in the area where my dad grew up, and I don’t feel like a stranger there any more. It is such a wonderful feeling. I know Dad would be thrilled about this too.






Comments
Post a Comment